Honeybush has an array of health promoting properties perfectly suited to counteracting the negative impact of today’s stressful environment.
- Honeybush contains a number of known phytoestrogens (phyto = plant). These plant compounds bind to the oestrogen receptors in the body and can imitate the effects of human oestrogen. Honeybush could therefore help to relieve menopause-related symptoms and protect post-menopausal women against cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis.
- Honeybush contains anti-carcinogens that are extremely beneficial in aiding the prevention of cancer and anti-oxidants, known to slow down the aging process.
- Honeybush contains no caffeine, which makes it the perfect bedtime beverage, ensuring a calm, restful night’s sleep. The stimulant properties of caffeine contribute to insomnia and anxiety, and negatively affects digestion and heart problems.
- Honeybush contains minerals such as iron (essential for the transport of oxygen in the blood), potassium (necessary for the metabolic process), calcium (for strong teeth and bones), zinc (necessary for normal growth and development of healthy skin) and magnesium (necessary for a healthy nervous system and metabolic processes).
- Honeybush is extremely low in tannin. Tannin is known to inhibit mineral absorption, particularly iron.
- Honeybush is highly recommended for pregnant women, babies and children, due to its lack of caffeine and low-acidity.
- Honeybush aids in the soothing of coughs and respiratory infections or disorders.
- There is anecdotal evidence that Honeybush has an allergy-reducing effect.
More research continues to be carried out and more evidence is coming to light that reinforces Honeybush’s beneficial effects on health.